Steering Column

 All holes are filled in the back of the car.  I need to prime the metal, seam seal the welds and then paint.  Then I will be ready to finally install the rear subframe for what I hope is the LAST time.


The plan is to use the Miata steering column, this will give me options with accessories controls (switches).  The Miata column is shorter so some modification to the mounting had to be done as well as getting the column shaft to interface with the Miata rack.  I could have used the Miata steering shaft but it presented some challenges in shortening it.




So I decided to make my own.

To get the right angle for the steering shaft I made the steering "pass thru" hole bigger.

The next thing to do is seal the hole and the DD steering shaft.  I used one end of a "Universal" steering rack boot and 3D printed two parts.



 


One of the 3D parts pushes the boot against the firewall to seal the hole.  The other 3D part seals the DD shaft and spins inside the boot.

 Steering shaft seal looking from the inside of the car.

Fully assembled, inside view.

Fully assembled, engine compartment view.

Comments