Moving to the front suspension

One thing I want to come clean on......those are not my welds!  I hired a young guy, Derek, who is a fabricator/welder to help me with the critical areas (where the welds need to be better then what I can do).  He is also helping me with the fabrication. 


The hole is nearly filled.  Once completed, I will prime and seam seal the bottom of the car AFTER the welds are smoothed out.

By accident we made a battery box, this was not planned!

While the hole in the rear is being worked on, I decided to start on the front end.  Using the Miata subframe and control arms I started the process of centering the tire to the fender opening. The orange strap is to hold the control arms at the ride height of the Miata.

The Miata tires and wheels are 23.3" od 205/45ZR16, the Manta tires and wheels are 23.2" od 185/70 HR 13.  So the tire height is really not much different.  Before blowing the Manta apart I compared "key" (datum) dims with what was in the manual.  From the center of the axle to the fender lip its 14" with the stock Manta tires.


I had to cut the rear of subframe to get the thing into the car and it doesn't look good.  I am not at the right ride height yet and the rear lower control arm pivot is crashing into the frame!

 

Found another "crash point", this time on the upper control arm.  I will have to notch the frame to take care of this.  Had to cut the rear of the lower control arm to get around the rear pivot hitting the Manta frame.  The plan will be to move the rear pivot closer to the front pivot.
Marking the subframe mounting holes on to the Manta frame.  Notice the Miata subframe mounting location is WIDER then the Manta frame!!!  Also for the control arms to be at the same relationship as they were in the Miata, the subframe is adjusted so that it is not parallel with the Manta frame.  This because the Manta frame is not parallel with the ground.



To
solve these two challenges I used some 3x3x0.250 inch angle Iron as a interface between the subframe and frame.  The angle Iron is bolted in for now but once the suspension is squared to the frame and motor placement is found it will be welded to the frame.  The angle Iron will also be reinforced at the ends. 


This is the Miata upper shock mount for the front suspension located in the Manta fender at the same distance, angle and relationship to the lower control arm as it was in the Miata.  Even though the Manta gauge of metal is pretty thick some reinforcement will be done in this area.

Testing the fit of the front strut/shock assy.


Comments